Isla Mujeres Golf Cart Rules
Renting a golf cart to explore the island is great fun, but there are golf cart rules that you must abide to for a safe and legal fun experience. This is a pretty lengthy list, but I’m trying to cover all the bases!
Isla Mujeres has a zero tolerance drinking and driving law, this includes no open containers on the cart, including passengers. The police will sometimes set up checkpoints looking for drunk drivers. (they can also pull you over at any time). If they detect alcohol on your breath, you will be taken to the police station where they will do a breathalyzer and your fine will be at least $400.00us.
- You must have a valid driver’s license to rent and drive a golf cart. You will leave the license with the rental agency and they will give it back to you when you return your cart. Children are not allowed to drive golf carts, they are not toys!
- Only 4 adult passengers allowed on golf carts, including the driver. There are allowances for small children.
- Most cart rentals close at 5 p.m. make sure you return your cart on time to avoid paying extra!
- Topes! These are speed bumps, if you go over these too fast, you’ll get quite a jolt and perhaps toss a passenger off the back, SLOW DOWN for TOPES!
- Never leave valuables on your golf cart.
- Carry your rental agreement with you with the phone number.
- Many rental carts look the same, we always tie something to it (a piece of string or a ribbon) so we can recognize ours.
- Keep to the right!
- Watch for pedestrians and animals!
- Parking can be tricky, watch for no parking signs and yellow and red painted curbs, do not park along yellow or red lines. Yellow is for drop off and pick up only.
- Carts don’t have turn signals, use hand signals and always check behind you before turning.
- Be aware of one way streets.
- No driving golf carts on the malecon or the beach.
- Don’t stop in the middle of a road to take a picture, pull over.
- Last but not least, if you see a tent-style awning in the middle of the street, turn around. This is very often a visitation for a deceased family member, be respectful.
Our Isla Mujeres map and travel guide comes with a golf cart tour map!
Have fun and be respectful 🙂
Most of the time you do not need to rent a cart in advance. Many will not rent in advance for a day or two. Check with